Here’s how we can help you to stay compliant and keep trading

As Brexit nears, we are beginning to get some clarity from the Government regarding some of the key amendments to import/export processes.

What’s changing?

With effect from 1st January 2021, Import VAT on B2C goods with a value of up to £135 will no longer exist. This will be replaced with Supply VAT. The implication for overseas sellers  trading goods up to the value of £135 is that they must now register and account for UK VAT.

How do I stay compliant?

Sounds complicated? Don’t worry. At CCL we have got your back. We have teamed up with Kingsvat, an excellent specialist VAT registration company, to simplify and streamline everything. They can take care of the entire process for you, including registration, compiling and submitting quarterly VAT returns and even dealing on your behalf with any correspondence from HMRC.

Their aim – and ours too – is to make the transition from Import VAT to Supply VAT for your goods valued at up to £135 as smooth as possible for you, whilst helping to ensure you are fully compliant with the new regulations, in place from 1st January 2021.

The good news is that we expect this new arrangement will make the processing of your low value imports even faster.

Is there anything else I need to know?

For goods over £135 in value, there is no change to current arrangements.

These new arrangements are still subject to change if, for example, a new Trade Agreement is negotiated with the EU during October. This may happen, but we all need to proceed on the basis of the current new regulations, until and unless things change. Our aim is to help ensure that our import clients are well informed and fully prepared for whatever impact Brexit has on import processing – deal, or no deal.

All new arrangements will be kept under review by HMRC and will be subject to further change if unexpected issues emerge. But rest assured, we will keep you fully up-to-date, to help enable you to continue trading in full compliance with regulations. It’s an uncertain time in so many ways, but at CCL, we can and will continue to provide the fullest support and the best advice.

What do I do next?

Click the link to access our dedicated web page for Overseas UK VAT Registration. There’s a short form to complete, which will enable us to guide you through these changes.

Where can I get the Government’s published information on all this?

Click the link to access the full Government Publication on the changes. There’s a lot of detail, but it’s important to review it.